Wednesday 8 June 2011

Announcing "Toxic Tourism"

It's in The Bookseller, so at last I can start talking about the second book! Provisionally titled "Toxic Tourism", it will be an unconventional travel guide to three places in the former Soviet Union: the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, the Baikonur Cosmodrome and the Aral Sea. The publisher will be HarperPress, who of course is also publishing Care of Wooden Floors. Toxic Tourism will be out a few months after 2012.

This is under the umbrella of the Unknown Fields trip in July (which makes the Bookseller's use of the past tense a little puzzling). I'm hugely grateful to the AA's Liam Young, who put out a call for a writer to accompany the trip at the beginning of May, to Robin Harvie and Clare Smith at Harper Collins, and to my agent Antony Topping. So, exciting times afoot. I'll fill in some more details later.

5 comments:

Alex said...

Ace news, Will - congratulations. Also, don't get poisoned and die while doing the visits.

Unknown said...

Thanks Alex. I'll do my best not to die.

David Selim Sayers said...

Hey Will,

I just saw your book being announced on warrenellis.com, and had to wonder whether you were the same Will Wiles who I'd worked with at Varsity while he was co-creating the hilarious Reality Checkpoint. I now think you really are, and just wanted to say congratulations!

Unknown said...

Hi David - Yes, that's me! Nice that there are still one or two people out there who remember RC. Funnily enough Gareth Funning, the other half of RC, followed me on Twitter the other day. One of the best things about announcements of this kind is that they cause reacquaintances like this.

David Selim Sayers said...

"Agent of Drainage"... How could I forget?

If you'd like to stay in touch, I'm under my full name on facebook (if you use facebook, that is).

I wish you the best of luck with both books!